On 25 May 2018 the new General Data Protection Regulation comes into effect. Here at V Formation we’ve started ensuring our data and processes are up to scratch with the new regulations. To help other marketing teams to do the same, we’ve put together a handy checklist of things to consider.
Audit your marketing data
- Where is it stored?
- Who has access?
- Do you need to invest in a CRM or other IT systems?
Clean your data
- Remove duplicates
- Try and ensure it is in one place
- Keep it ‘clean’!
Consider processes for inputting/storing data
- Who inputs/removes data?
- Where are opt-ins recorded?
- Are you able to quickly access specific data?
- What are the time frames for deleting specific campaign or event data?
- Raise awareness of GDPR – consider specific training
- Ensure everyone who has access to marketing data is aware of the processes for inputting and storing your marketing data
- Think about the less obvious people who handle marketing data e.g. PAs
- Do you need extra resources to get your data compliant?
- Beat the rush – do it sooner rather than later
- An opportunity to gain insights to enhance your data
- Set a deadline and send reminders
- Consider a value exchange
- Double opt-in/welcome email
- Check your email platform is compliant
- Consider if you need to do a post or SMS opt-in campaign
- Make it relevant to your organisation
- Ensure it is presented clearly and is easy to understand
- Make it thorough and transparent
- Consider Google Analytics, cookies and other platforms
- Ensure it is on your website
Consider external agencies
- Review contracts
- Do they comply with the GDPR?